Thursday, October 2, 2014

My Blood Test Results

About a week ago, I went to my follow up appointment with the rheumatologist. As I sat there, nervously twiddling my thumbs, the Dr. walked in. He had, with him, my blood test results from the previous visit. He sat down and told me, "your iron levels are very low along with your vitamin D levels." He then added, "you also tested positive for mild lupus. I worry that if you ever decide to have children it could develop into full blown Lupus." I listened closely as he continued, "at this point we need to treat you for your deficiencies and if in a month that hasn't helped we will have to start treating the lupus."

He prescribed me iron, vitamin D, and suggested I start taking a multi-vitamin. He said he usually prescribes his patients 1,000 unit of vitamin D, but since my levels are so low he needed to prescribe 1.5 mg (50,000 unit) taken once a week. I told him, "I guess I need to get more sun." He replied, "well that's the issue... people with Lupus have sun sensitivities, so it is a good idea for you to try and avoid the sun." This led me to believe... I'm a mess! haha This is more challenging then I thought! I thought I was doing everything right, but my blood test results showed otherwise. I guess people with lupus or any autoimmune disease can have trouble absorbing nutrients and can easily become deficient. Therefore, supplements are usually needed in addition to what a person is already consuming on a daily basis.

At this point, I am following the Drs. directions along with continuing my healthy lifestyle... I am trying to stay positive and hoping for the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment